Tuesday 8 August 2017

Tyska Kyrkan (German Church)

31 July 2017

Now, I am on a Church hunt. There are 3 obvious churches when you see the panoramic view of Gamla Stan. Their domes are high up in the skies. They are Riddarholmen Church, German Church and the Swedish Church. I did not go inside the Swedish Church (Stor Kyrkan) as one needs to pay a fee to go inside, and so that was left out until I got sufficient monies. 

Today, I am at the German Church. It became my favourite church after I went in. I have no idea why did I made that decision. It could be because of the pictures on the ceilings, the very elaborated paintings inside the church or the high spire that is very distinguished in its design. I was very surprised that there is no entrance fee. 




The German Church, sometimes called St. Gertrude's Church, is a church in Gamla stan, the old town in central Stockholm, Sweden, belonging to the German Saint Gertrude Parish of the Church of Sweden. Located between the streets Tyska Brinken, Kindstugatan, Svartmangatan, and Prästgatan, it is named for standing in the centre of a neighbourhood that in the Middle Ages was dominated by Germans. Officially named Sankta Gertrud, the church is dedicated to Saint Gertrude (626-659), abbess of the Benedictine monastery of Nivelles, in present-day Belgium, and patron saint of travellers. Source from Wikipedia.










Over the northern gate facing Tyska Brinken is a gilded images of the patron saint and the exhortation Fürchtet Gott! Ehret den König! — "Fear God! Honour the King!". Source from Wikipedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment