Sunday 29 April 2018

Kompis Sverige: Theater and Concert

I found out about Kompis Sverige (pronounced as 'kom-pis s-veh-reah') in December 2017 and never got myself to research more about it, until one fine day, I got bored with all the Meetup activities and wanted to do something different. So, I went into Kompis Sverige website, and entered into a whole new world of theater plays and soprano singing which would never have been possible for me due to the tickets' prices. 

Kompis Sverige is a non-profit organisation by Red Cross that helps foreigners to integrate into the Swedish society. Bless their kind heart because it is REALLY difficult to integrate into a Swedish society. Kompis Sverige connects foreigners with Swedes and befriend one another. Unfortunately, I am not privileged to that because I live in Stockholm municipality which does not have an agreement with Kompis Sverige to connect me with Swedish friends. Do I have any Swedish friends? Just one - my mentor at work. I went on a guided walk once upon a time and the tour guide said that all Swedes have found their friends by the time they are 5. Haha! It sounds funny but it is the truth. It was difficult for me initially without a friend when I came to Sweden. Then, I found out that there are a number of websites that offers this 'getting-to-know-a-Swede' as a friend - which shows that it is not easy to get a Swede as a friend. Swedes are reserved. It is part of their DNA. Don't ask me why. Soon, I started school (to learn Swedish) and I have friends from other parts of the world except Sweden. Haha! The irony when I am in Sweden.

In the website, there are a list of activities where one can click to join and if you are late, you can join the waiting list and may be able to join if you are lucky. So far, I have clicked to join concert performance, theater play and a musical comedy. At no cost. Thank you, Kompis Sverige. 

26 February 2018

Final rehearsal of a play titled Ilya. It was staged in Kulturhuset (The Culture House) - a blue colour building. The play is about a lady who lost her daughter, found her but the child was sent to social services because the parents were not in a condition to bring up the child and finally found her again after 10 years. A 3-hour play with a 15-minute pause. A staff came out and rang a bell to get the crowd back in.


22 April 2018

Play by William Spetz. I had no idea who he was but apparently he is quite well known in the arts and acting industry. A 15-year old told me to check him out on YouTube. It was a 1.5 hour play about his memories of his late grandmother. His performance was amazing and he managed to hold the crowd's attention the whole time. He even got a standing ovation at the end.






25 April 2018

Performance by soprano singer, Miah Persson and music played by pianist, Magnus Svensson. I got the opportunity to go inside Konserthuset (The Concert House) which is not possible without a ticket. Its interior is gorgeous!







27 April 2018

Gentlemannen (The Gentleman) is a musical comedy about love and murder. It is adapted from an English play that won 4 Tony Awards and Best Musical Award. This was a hilarious and morbid play. No videos were allowed here. It was staged in a theater that I always admired from afar each time I walked pass by from school (where I studied my Swedish beginner class). Apparently, Oscar Theater where I went usually stages funny plays.







Awesome, huh? :-) I know, right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment