Monday 12 June 2017

Langholmen - Lake and Prison Museum

6 June 2017

I have been in Sweden for a week now. Specifically in Stockholm. In the first week, he has gotten me a train card (I have yet to explain about the train card), accompanied me to Migrationsverket to apply for my resident permit card and gone for a weekend getaway to Trollhattans, Gothenburg and Halden (in Norway). 

We got back from our weekend getaway the day before, and today is a public holiday in Sweden for its National Day. Unfortunately, he was not feeling well (I think it is due to the long drives) and needed to rest. So, I decided to explore Stockholm by myself. I chose to go to Langholmen (pronounced as Long-hol-men). I have researched the directions on how to get to Langholmen. It was odd the first time as I could not ask him. So, I asked the locals if I was on the right train. It gets pretty normal after a while to ask for directions. 


I got down at Hornstull station and was greeted by a stall selling flowers and fruits. Almost every train station's exit has a stall selling flowers and fruits. I was happy to see the strawberries. So, I bought one box with huge berries for SEK25. I think it is affordable. 






From Hornstull station, I was not sure of how to get to Långholmen. I wanted to visit the Prison Museum. The entrance fee was affordable at SEK25. If you have visited museums in Stockholm, you will know the awesome museums cost more than SEK25. I asked the elder locals on the directions. I asked a bunch of kids and they directed me to the wrong route. 


Soon, I crossed the bridge to Langholmen. It is very sunny and there were so many people sunbathing by the lake or on the grass. People were having picnics on this bright sunny day.




The Prison Museum was very close by. Although I felt I was walking in circles looking for the entrance. It is a huge yellow building which also houses a hotel. 

Långholmen Prison, officially Långholmen Central Prison, was historically one of the largest prison facilities in Sweden with more than 500 cells, located on the island of Långholmen in Stockholm. It was built 1874—1880 as the central prison of Sweden, and was temporary closed down between 1972—1975. Afterwards, Långholmens spinnhus was moved. Today the building is being used as a hotel/hostel and museum, as well as to accommodate a folk high school. Part of the prison was demolished in 1982. The prison is also noted for being the location of the last execution in Sweden prior to the abolition of capital punishment in 1921.

The island itself was originally rocky and barren, but in the 19th century, the prisoners were made to cover the island with mud dredged from the waterways around it. After a few years, the fertile soil had turned the island into a lush garden with a somewhat exotic flora compared to its surroundings, caused by various seeds accidentally brought and spread by the trade and merchant ships from other places and countries that passed by the island. This peculiarity still persists, and today the island is known as a lush oasis. Source from Wikipedia.



There was no one manning the entrance and I thought I could enter. It turns out there is a password to key in. So, I went to the little cafe to buy the ticket and I got a password to enter. Hotel guests can enter for free. When I went inside the museum, I understood why it was SEK25 only. It was a very small museum of probably 40m in length.









There was a replica of a prison room.


Outside the museum, there were many walls separating a space, and it turns out to be your own private garden.



I spent 30 minutes in the museum and I read every single explanation. I walked out to explore Langholmen. This is when I saw so many sunbathers. I guess, if given a choice, people would like to strip it all off. Haha! I, on the other hand, was fully clothed, because I did not want to get a suntan under a 1pm sun. It was not hot because the wind is dry.

Langholmen has a beautiful park. The landscape of its trees and flowers are gorgeous and well planned.






These are the huge strawberries I bought. Yummy and juicy. Full of Vitamin C. I love it. 




Time to take the same route back - train and bus back to my place. After today solo walk, I had more confidence to explore Stockholm. I got the hang of the public transport system after 2 days of solo exploration. Honestly, it is so easy and everything is on display. The timing is also listed. The buses and trains come on time. Even if they were late, it is just 5 minutes late. And you know, being in Malaysia has taught me that 5 minutes late is not even considered late. Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment