Monday 6 November 2017

Alla Helgons Dag (All Souls' Day) 2017

4 November 2017

I hurried back from Shockholm Festival (Halloween celebration) to see how All Souls' Day is observed in Stockholm. It is called Alla Helgons Dag (pronounced as 'ah-la hell-gones dog') in Swedish. This is a day for the Christians to remember those who left. I am aware of this day because I visit my late aunt on this day (and her death anniversary), light up candles and set flowers for her. But we do it during the day whereas here in Stockholm is done at night.

A week before the actual day, there were lots of mini wreaths being sold. SEK225/RM112.50 - They labelled it as grave decoration. While the larger ones cost SEK295/RM147.50. I thought they were really expensive but people buy them anyway.



My partner and I went to SkogskyrkogĂ„rden (pronounced as 'skogs-sheer-ko-gor-den'). English name is The Woodland Cemetery. This is a UNESCO World Heritage site in Sweden. One of the UNESCO sites. This is a cemetery, by the way.  A huge one too. The first time I went there in 2015, I got lost finding my way out and thankfully, it was bright daylight. Anyway, the cemetery was brightly lit with so many candles. The skies were bright from all the candles. They are a sight to behold. It was my first time seeing candles stored in bottles or jars to prevent the fires from dying or blown by the wind.












This area is for the deceased that are buried anonymously. I learnt of this concept when I came to Sweden. The deceased are cremated and the ashes are put in an urn and the urn is buried in an area meant for this - called the memorial grove. The logic behind this is that most of the next-of-kin are occupied and unable to take care of the individual grave. So, the cemetery staff will take care of this place. Plus, there is no fee for this. For individual graves, the next-of-kin need to pay for the spot.




Definitely a peaceful sight which I don't mind going every year for.

No comments:

Post a Comment