Monday 16 October 2017

Short Getaway : Day 2 - Tåkern Lake

11 October 2017

Today, my sister woke up early because she would like to see if she could do some birdwatching while the partner sleeps. So, we had an early breakfast - grapes and cinnamon buns and off we go for a short walk. 

Also, we check out today and head to Tåkern Lake today. This place is one of the well-known places for birdwatching. We headed back to Stockholm after Tåkern Lake (pronounced as 'toe-kern').





This usually happens - I see the birds from my sister's camera.



We had our second breakfast before we headed to Tåkern Lake. This time - more grapes and mooncakes. The Lantern Festival had just ended and my sister brought my favourite mooncakes with salted egg yolks! Yummy!



It is a truly peaceful sight. The colourful leaves. The cooling air. The quiet atmosphere. The charming buildings. 



Random stop to stretch the legs to see this view. Amazing. 


I don't know what tradition is this to hang shoes and bottles on a tree..


Tåkern Lake was just half an hour drive from Omberg (where we stayed). If you love birds, you have got to come here. There is also a learning center in the area. We did not get to go in as it was close. It was very cold when we got there. I was in 5 layers of clothing including a down-jacket and my mucous was still pouring freely into my scarf. Ugh. My sister identified 18 types of birds here. It would have been more during the mating season. 














There is an insect hotel here too.

An insect hotel, also known as a bug hotel or insect house, is a manmade structure created to provide shelter for insects. They can come in a variety of shapes and sizes depending on the specific purpose or specific insect it is catered to. Most consist of several different sections that provide insects with nesting facilities – particularly during winter, offering shelter or refuge for many types of insects. Source from Wikipedia.




Time for lunch. The partner cooked pea soup while my sister manned the fire. I just took photos. Then, we were headed back to Stockholm. 






For dessert, we tried some local Swedish delicacies - mazarin and chocolate almond macaroons. Both are very sweet and I would recommend to just try it once. 


Such a nice getaway. The sister left Stockholm 2 days later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment