Monday 30 April 2018

Dalarna: Part 1 - Njupeskär

29 April 2018

It was the long Labour Day weekend. Time to explore more of Sweden. While Stockholm is approaching spring (and goodbye to winter), my partner decided to go back to winter. I forgot how cold winter could be. We were in Dalarna for the weekend, and there was still 1 meter of snow! Dalarna is situated north west from Stockholm and is about 9 hours' drive. 

We went to Njuperskär (pronounced as 'yu-per-hweh') Waterfall, the highest waterfall in Sweden of 93 meters. The waterfall is frozen and one has to trudge on 1 meter height of snow and not sink in. I sank in a couple of times. Initially, I was afraid and then I got used to it.  








See how high is the snow. One has to bend forward to read the signboard!


Last rest hut. One is advised to stop here from going further for risk of avalanche. The following photo is the view of the frozen waterfall from the last rest hut.



We went further anyway. We stopped at the barred tape.



It is magnificent, isn't it? Have you seen a frozen waterfall before? I certainly have not.



No comments:

Post a Comment