Tuesday 26 February 2019

Lyktvandring (Lantern Hike)

23 February 2019

Lyktvandring = Lantern Hike. Another activity brought to you by Kompis Sverige. This time with me leading as the volunteer! Yes, I have become a volunteer with Kompis Sverige. I thought it was the right time for me to give back because this organisation gave me so many opportunities to appreciate Stockholm - theatres and concerts. Plus, I have finished my Swedish course, and I am more confident in communicating in Swedish now. 

As a volunteer, I ensure all the participants gather at the place, call anyone who has not shown up, walk to the bus or train stop, meet the activity's organiser, snap a group photo and write a short description of the activity which will be posted on social media. 




We walked around Djurgården (a park) with lanterns to learn about its history and the nature. There were a couple of oak trees in the park as the then-king ordered these trees to be planted so they can be chopped to make warships. One of the famous warships that used oak trees was Vasa Ship (the 333-year old warship that is in a museum now). Only the King had the authority to chop down the trees but this law remained until 1870 only and after that, steel took over as a main material to build ships.



The guide provided fika (coffee, tea and cookies) at the end of the 2-hour walk with Kaknästornet (pronounced as 'cock-nest-tor-net'), which is a radio tower, in the background. The guide served a fine set of teacups with tablecloth too. It was cold, of course, but manageable at 3 degrees. 


No comments:

Post a Comment