Monday 4 February 2019

Theatre - 'Fordringsägare' by August Strindberg

30 January 2019

I watched a play in a small theatre (Theatre Galeasen) today. The theatre is so small that if one makes the slightest move, everyone in the theatre can hear you. I am not joking when I said that the theatre is extremely small. I went to this play with a ticket from Kompis Sverige. I was seated on the front row and the only movement I did was crossed and uncrossed my legs. 

This is a play written in 1888 by August Strindberg, one of Sweden’s famous author. Titled ‘Fordringsägare’ which means Creditor. I was informed that almost every kid who studied in Sweden had seen this play. 

A 1 hour 40 minutes play about an ex-husband (the bald man) who is jealous of his ex-wife (lady in the play)’s husband (the man with hair). Ex-husband manipulated current husband when ex-husband became current husband’s psychiatrist when the ex-wife was away for 8 days on a boat trip. Ex-wife came back and found husband different. Ex-wife confronted ex-husband and almost had a romantic encounter but got into an argument and current husband overheard. Ex-wife looked for current husband and he hung himself. The end. 

I did not understand the first 30 minutes and I got the gist when the lady came into the picture but there were a number of screaming scenes where I could not catch the words. Also, one of the lines had the word ‘nonsense’ and I was surprised - Did Mr Strindberg use English in his writings?





No comments:

Post a Comment