Friday 22 March 2019

Eldfesten (The Fire Festival)

19 March 2019

Today, Stockholm celebrated Chaharshanbe Suri, an Iranian festival that is celebrated on the eve of the last Wednesday before their New Year, which is known as Nouruz. Nouruz also marks the beginning of spring and it is the day where the daylight and night hours are equal. The celebration was held at Skansen, Sweden’s open air museum. Skansen is a huge museum and I can only think that there are a lot of Iranians in Sweden. Chaharshanbe Suri is associated as the fire festival as people celebrate it by jumping over small bonfires to purify themselves and forget the old year.

There was a display of the Haft-sin (seven foods beginning with the letter sin (س‎)) indoors. I did not know it represented something until an Iranian friend showed me her Haft-sin. I asked her what have you seen? Hilarious!



There was a huge stage where a number of performances were being carried out. I saw a fire performance, because it is, after all, a fire festival. It was 3 degrees and luckily, I was dressed in warm clothes.



The highlight of the evening for me was to jump over the bonfires. They are gas-ignited bonfires. We went to look for food but there was an extremely long queue and I did not want to wait for the food. So, I went back.



No comments:

Post a Comment