Monday 24 June 2019

Fjäderholmarna (Feather's Islet)

23 June 2019

On a bright sunny Sunday, a couple of friends and I boarded the ferry to Fjäderholmarna (pronounced as 'fe-yar-dei-hole-mar-na'). Fjäder means feathers while Holmar means islet (a very small island). Probably there are lots of birds here, and hence, the name. Anyway, this is the nearest islet (part of the archipelago) to Stockholm. It takes about 30 minutes to get to the islet. Since it is so near, you can imagine that there are lots of people on the island who wants to have a weekend getaway from the city. Plus, the islet has its own brewery! 

Here, we are gathered at Strömkajen (pronounced as 'Strem-ka-yen'). Ström means current. Kajen means wharf. We boarded the Waxholmsbolaget boat which costs SEK79 for one way. A return costs SEK158.  








The first landmark that greeted us upon alighting from the boat is the brewery! We decided to walk around the islet first and find a spot to relax by the beach. The islet is really a small island as it took us 20 minutes only to walk around the islet! 







We found a spot. Some friends took a dip in the waters and found it really cold. Some of us played badminton. I avoided the waters, played badminton and enjoyed the warmth.



We went to the brewery to have lunch. I got my first taste of sour beer here. I like sour beer now. I have been drinking more beer now than I ever had in my entire life in Malaysia. Sounds like I am on my way to becoming an alcoholic! 





My friend treated us to a plate of cold meat and cheese.


That is me and my SEK75-sour beer. 




After lunch, we walked around some of the houses and saw old fishing boats and fishes' bones.




Our group leader treated all of us a to reproduction-shaped chocolate. There is a chocolate shop on the islet which is next to the brewery. I got the male version and the males got the female version. It was funny when we started licking the chocolates.


We took the 5.30pm boat back to Stockholm. What a fun way to spend the Sunday with friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment