Friday 23 October 2020

Wellness allowance : Footcare

20 October 2020

As an employee in Sweden, one of the optional benefits that an employer can offer is an annual wellness allowance. This non-taxable allowance can reach to a maximum of SEK5000 which is about RM2500. The employee can use this allowance for sports or massage or any activities that are approved by the tax authorities that can contribute to an employee's well-being. There is a whole list of it. This is such a great benefit that shows how much work-life balance is emphasised here. 

Last year, I used my annual allowance to buy a gym card where I could swim and gym. I could also use the sauna, or whatever facilities offered by the gym. This year, I dare not visit the gym due to Corona and so, I decided to utilise my wellness allowance for footcare as I did not have to be in close contact with people. My toenails have not been in the prettiest condition due to my running and hiking activities. I did lots of that before I moved to Sweden. Most of my toenails have died and regrown. I have a toenail that has a double layer so, I decided it is time I visit a nail therapist to fix the nail. Sometimes, it gets too tight in my shoe because of this thick toenail. I did not know that a nail therapist has a specific education and the therapist that I went to is a qualified one.

For my 30 minute medical footcare with Friska Fötter (Healthy Feet), I got a footbath, filing and clipping of my toenails, removal of dead and hard skin that was preventing the growth of my huge toenail, and foot massage. It was suppose to be a 50-minute footcare, but as I did not have any serious nail and foot conditions, the footcare was a short one. The session costed me SEK810. Otherwise, it would be SEK650 if this is not a wellness allowance. The difference was due to tax. Yes, I did mention above that it is a non-taxable allowance, but what I meant by that is that I do not get taxed from it. The employer 'pays' for the tax in the allowance. 

So, I am very happy with how my toenails look like now. :) I forgot to add, I was offered tea and cookies too. The extra service is always a plus-point.





No comments:

Post a Comment