Friday 3 December 2021

Waldemarsudde - Ett eget rum (A room to oneself) art exhibition

2 December 2021

Voluntary work to Waldemarsudde Museum. Yes, Kompis Sverige is back in action with their activities to bring newly-matched friends together to hang out. It is a great initiative. I enjoy going to their activities, being a volunteer to gather them and talking to them, getting to know and being humbled by new people I meet each time. Everyone has their own stories and I learn each time I listen to their stories.

The last time I was in this museum was in November 2018. 3 years back and with Kompis Sverige too but as a participant then. 

Today, we are in the museum to see an art exhibition - Ett eget rum, which means a room to oneself. Well, the direct translation will be 'an own room' but does not make sense in English. So, this exhibition depicts how Nordic female artists at the end of the 19th century came to conquer the role of artists during a time of radical societal changes and gender equality aspirations. Source from Waldemarsudde. We had a guide with us to explain the history of a few painters. I took photos of paintings that intrigued me. 

In this picture, the painting of the man was painted by his fiancée. And his fiancée is painted by him and depicted in the next painting. See, how they see one another in each other's eyes. I think the woman looks dark and sad, while the main looks happy.


In this huge painting, a husband painted his wife and his wife who is a sculptor sculptured a bust of him and is displayed next to the huge painting. You can see the wife's profession in his painting, and the husband is very proud of his wife being an artist. 



Women as artists were being frowned upon then. I prefer these sort of paintings when one is able to see the object clearly. I am not a fan of abstract paintings because they are just random strokes and I cannot interpret them as creatively as the artist. I feel that clearly painted objects are harder to paint as one needs to be careful with the strokes, details, and shades of colours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment