Sunday 8 October 2017

Baker wannabe : Apple Cake

8 October 2017

Today, I made apple cake! I made it a few times and did not write down the recipe. Finally, when I decided to make it again after a short pause, I have no idea which recipe I used and decided to google for Swedish Apple Cake. Now, I write my recipes in a cooking notebook so I can refer to the note book anytime!

The first apple cake I made smell so good of cinnamon. I used 4 small apples only. It felt so fluffy and soft to my hands when I held the cake. I wondered if it could be due to the milk that I used. Apparently, this is the kind cake that Swedes enjoy - soft and fluffy, whereas I am used to cakes' texture that are slightly firm.

Here is the Swedish Apple Cake recipe:

Recipe:
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup of white sugar / 2.25 dl
  • 1/2 cup of milk / 1.12 dl
  • 50g butter, melted
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 cup of flour / 3.4 dl
  • Pinch of salt
  • Preheated oven 175 degrees

Apple mix. Do this first and let the cut apples marinate with the other ingredients.
  • 2 apples (I use a maximum of 4 huge apples). Slice into thin wedges
  • 3 tbsp sugar (I reduce this to 1 tbsp because the batter has so much sugar)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 lemon
Beat the eggs and sugar till fluffy. Add the milk and butter. Mix well. Mix the baking powder with flour. Slowly fold into batter. Do not overstir. 

Butter a baking dish and cover with breadcrumbs. You can buy breadcrumbs. Pour in the batter into the baking dish. Layer with the apple wedges. Then, pour in the next batter until cover the apples. Layer with the next apple wedges. Continue this until apples and batter finish. Usually, I ensure there are sufficient apples for the top layer. As I have a small baking dish (as seen in the below photos), I can do 4 apple layers. Bake at 175 degrees for 45 minutes. 




Apple cake can be eaten with vanilla cream.


The photos below are Swedish Apple Cake whereas the photos above are the usual Apple Cake where the apples are in the cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment