Thursday 20 July 2017

Free Tour Stockholm : Sodermalm Tour

12 July 2017

I went for my first walking tour with Free Tour Stockholm. It is free and since it is free, we tip the guide depending on our financial capability. My guide for today was Peter and he is hilarious. It is so important to have a funny guide. He described on how some of his tips included a teabag and a special egg. Haha! These kind of tours usually cost SEK200 per person for a private tour so some of the tourists tipped around that range. Well, I am not loaded, so I tipped lesser than that. There are actually a number of free walking tours but for some reason, my fingers clicked to this provider and I did not regret it. I would recommend any tourists to go for these walking tours. One really learn a lot and at your price too. 

Today's walking tour is in Sodermalm. We met at Slussen train station It was about a 2 hour walk and we walked around for 2 km with attractive points of interest for photo shoots and for Peter to share the history on the place. It used to be a poor area and was frowned upon in those days, but now, it is an area for the artsy people, the hipsters and the rich too. 





If you are visiting Stockholm, I am sure that one of the must-visit museums on your list is the Vasa Museum. It is a huge ship inside the museum. We were shown the spot where Vasa ship sank which is a slight distance from Grona Lund amusement park. If you stare pretty hard at the below photo (haha!), you can speak 3 tall structures on the right of the photo. That is Grona Lund. So, the ship sank somewhere slightly further. It has not even left Sweden yet.



We also listened to a murder story in Sodermalm. There was a street named after an executioner / hangman. The story was that the executioner was executed by his apprentice (for a reason I can't remember now). Sounds pretty spooky for me to be here at night. Our walk ended just right opposite a small hotel that belonged to one of the ABBA singers. And specifically in front of Hercules statue (slaying a dragon) where the group photo was taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment