Thursday 10 August 2017

Bogesund 18km hike

6 August 2017

With all the museum visits around Stockholm, I have been overdosed and there were no more free museums to go to. There were not much free places to go to. Then, I stumbled across this awesome site called Meetup. It is my lifesaver in Stockholm! It is a website that allows one to join or create activities based on their interests and most of them are free (they will mention the price if there is one). So, I joined groups with interests in hiking, language and travel. 

This is my first meetup activity and it certainly was not my last. I am an active user of Meetup now and have been going to so many hiking trails outside of Stockholm. I am really happy with that. 

The difference between the hikes I have done in Malaysia and Sweden are the hikes here are free mainly because one don't need a guide to go into the forest or nature reserves. The routes are well-marked with colours on the trees or stones or signboards. There are also maps where one can download. Plus, the trail is clear and proper unlike the ones in Malaysia, where it is a jungle, and you can get lost in it without a guide. And the best thing is the nature reserves / forest are accessible via public transportation. 

But the one single con is how everyone is by themselves or with their friends - so, single persons are usually left out of conversations after the brief introductions among each other. It was awkward for me in the beginning but one gets used to it after a while. No one shares food with you. Okay, that might sound weird when I write this. In my hikes in Malaysia, we have a person who is responsible for food and everyone carries the food together and we will cook upon reaching a restplace or campsite. We eat and talk together. For Sweden, bring your own food and expect yourself to be occasionally isolated and try to chip in some words, if you wish. 

Today, we will hike in Bogesund. Bogesund is a place in Vaxholm, situated about 30 minutes from Stockholm. We gathered at Danderyds Sjukhus and took bus 670 where we alighted at Pålsundsvägen. As it was my first hiking activity here, I was very excited to meet strangers who were friendly and everyone spoke in English. There were not many Swedes, and in fact Meetup is mostly a gathering for foreigners. 





All nature reserves have this signboard to explain about the area and the route one can take.



So, we will follow the blue-marked trail. Be alert to ensure you can see a blue mark close by which means you are on the right trail.






We have occasional stops for a break and fika - coffee break with buns. 



As it was my first time, I took lots of photos of the lake and the greenery surrounding me because I was so amazed by them. Summer in Sweden is so gorgeous.







It rained during the hike. We took shelter for a while at Bogesund's Castle. It was locked. At this point of time, I was very cold and my chest was in pain. It was my first time experiencing such pain and it hurts a lot. Well, it did not stop at chest pain. I also experienced pain in my hands from the cold weather or wind. I do not experience chest pain since then but my hands suffer a lot. 





Lunch break at a rest spot in the nature. There are lots of small cabins with an area to sit and build a fire (it is usually not allowed during the summer as it is too hot). There are also chopped firewood prepared for the fire. 









I was very surprised to find myself walking on a road. It happens sometimes and then, you find yourself walking back in the nature reserve.




Finally, we reached the end of our 18km hike. We took bus 670 back. I learnt that hikes are timed based on the buses' timings otherwise, how else can you get back to the city. 



I thought we will be exchanging contacts with one another or keep in touch after the hike, but nah, nothing like that happened. We thanked the organiser for the hike and got ourselves back to our respective homes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment