Monday 25 September 2017

Caving in Klövbergsgrottan

24 September 2017

Today, I am doing caving! My very first caving in Stockholm. I was surprised that there are caves in Stockholm. This place is in a nature reserve and located in Tyresö (pronounced as 'tee-reh-ser'). I have been to 4 caves in Malaysia (Gua Kandu, Gua Sanding, Gua Batu Maloi, Gua Tempurung) and I wanted to see how different it is in Stockholm. 

The name of the cave is Klövberg (pronounced as 'clerv-beh-ry'). Grottan means 'the cave'. It is a 300m long cave that is formed as a result of a collapsed mountain from above. 

I took the bus to Tyresö Centrum and then bus 819 towards Tyresö Brevik where we alighted at Ällmora. Walk 1300m towards Noretvägen 40 or Klövbergsgrottan. Since there was only one bus that goes there in the morning, most of the participants were in the same bus.












This event was organised by STHLM Outdoor (one of the groups in Meetup). It did not cost anything to go inside the cave. I needed to invest in the helmet which costed me SEK50/RM25. Most of them used bicycle helmets. 

The cave is very narrow and there were lots of climbing, crawling through narrow passages which had sharp stones and feet dangling trying to get down to the ground. At one point, we had to remove our head gear because the hole was too small. If you are a claustrophobic, do not attempt this. At certain points, I was afraid that I may get stuck somewhere. Total time took about 3 hours as there were about 10 of us, or maybe slightly more.






We left our bags at the entrance of the cave.






This is one of the organisers. Joakim. I joined his activity the week before to Görväln where he taught us how to build a fire.



Vandalism in the cave.







The part where we removed our helmets.






Out finally! It was a great experience but I am not going back inside this cave for the time being. I will find out other spots to cave, if there is any. I was out of energy at the exit and got myself some bruises and scratches (never had any when I caved in Malaysia). 



Above the cave, there is a nice view of the lake. So, we hurried up the steps to see the view and got the bus in time to go back to town. 


No comments:

Post a Comment