Tuesday 26 September 2017

Baker wannabe : Apple Crumble Muffin

25 September 2017

After my first baking attempt with apple jam, I continued with my next baking session that involves more apples - apple crumble muffin.

As advised by my aunt, I took the recipe from Guai Shu Shu. It was simple and I could understand all the ingredients.

Recipe:
  • 150 grams of shredded apples (I took 2 big apples)
  • 100 grams of melted butter
  • 200 grams of self raising flour
  • 150 grams of brown sugar 
  • 50 grams of fresh milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
  • 2 eggs
  • Preheated oven 180 degrees

Crumble ingredients: Put all the crumble ingredients in a bowl. Use finger tips to rub the butter against the flour until it resemble coarse crumble form.
  • 90 grams of plain flour
  • 60 grams of cold cut butter
  • 30 grams of brown sugar (I made the mistake of omitting this out so that it will not be sweet but it turned out to be the key ingredient. Haha! The crumbles were very crumbly. I had this in my second attempt but it does not seem to make any difference.
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder

Check out the weigh scales that my boyfriend has. I had no idea how to use it and it took me sometime to figure it out. It costed him SEK50 from a flea market. 



Firstly, peel and chop the apples. Then melt the butter. This is how I melt my butter! So old school. I could have just put it in a pot and melt it directly. 


Then, add the shredded apples with eggs, melted butter and milk. Use a tablespoon to stir until well mixed.

In another dry bowl, sift the self raising flour, baking soda and cinnamon powder. Add the sugar, stir until well mixed and make a well in the centre. Add the apple egg mixture. Use a fork or flat bladed knife to swiftly and quickly mix the batter. Do not over mix and lumpy batter is acceptable. 



Fill the muffin cups with the batter until 75% full, top with the crumble and bake in the pre-heated oven of 180 degree Celsius for 20-25 minutes.  Insert a skewer (or a stick) in the middle and make sure it comes out clean.




This is how it looks like without the sugar in the crumble. It looks crumbly and it is crumbly too. So, you can imagine all the crumbles crumbling down once you take the first bite.


Anyhow, it is edible even without the crumbles. They taste so good, and can be eaten with whipped cream too. It does not taste too sweet either. Plus, the cinnamon made it smell so fragrant.



I attempted another time with the sugar in the crumbles and it still turned out the same. The crumbles crumbled and did not stick to the muffin either.



I am happy, regardless!

No comments:

Post a Comment