Friday 27 July 2018

Goteborg in 24 hours: Part 2 - Feskekörka, Göteborg Library, Gamla Haga

24 July 2018

After our sushi lunch, the walk continues to explore the streets of Göteborg. 




We found ourselves opposite of Feskekörka (pronounced as 'fes-keh-shir-kah'). This is a fish market. The price is expensive for me, so I did not try anything. I did enjoy looking at the produce, although I was discouraged by some of the sellers who had strawberries next to the fish produce. Yuck.

Feskekôrka (Swedish: standard: Fiskkyrkan, "fish church") is an indoor fish market in Gothenburg, Sweden, which got its name from the building's resemblance to a Neo-gothic church. It opened on 1 November 1874, and was drawn by the city architect Victor von Gegerfelt. Feskekôrka is an institution in Gothenburg as well as a tourist magnet, housing one of the city's oldest trades, fishing. Apart from a fish market, there is also a fish- and seafood restaurant in the building. Source from Wikipedia.













I was surprised to see how small their university is. They could have their buildings elsewhere. We went into the town's library and it was not as huge as the National Library in Stockholm. 




Then, we saw this charming street - Haga! 

Haga is a city district in Gothenburg, Sweden, renowned for its picturesque wooden houses, 19th century-atmosphere and cafés. Originally a working class suburb of the city with a rather bad reputation, it was gradually transformed into a popular visiting place for tourists and Gothenburgers. A major renovation of the area was made in the 1980s, houses were either renovated or torn down and replaced by post-modernistic replicas. Source from Wikipedia.



We went into the first shop on the street which sold praline chocolate. Oh, looks so good and costly. I don't have the heart to buy them, let alone eat them. Haha!


That small box in the below photo costs SEK129 / RM64.50 and has probably 7 pieces of chocolate inside.






Their cinema. The cheapest ticket was selling for SEK60.




In my earlier post, Part 1, I wrote that a bird pooed on me. So, I requested my partner to buy me shampoo so that I can wash my hair. We always carried water reserve with us whenever we travel, so I used that to wash my hair at the carpark. Two elderly ladies stared at me washing my hair and my partner had to explain - Bird. 


We headed back to Stockholm that evening and got home by 02:30. 

No comments:

Post a Comment