Sunday 28 October 2018

Archaelogical Site Visit

20 October 2018

Today's 1.5 hour archaeological site visit is brought to you by Kompis Sverige. I have never been to an archaeological site in my life, hence, I am very excited when I saw this activity and I enrolled myself immediately. I was apprehensive for the cold weather because it is autumn. I am aware that this is an outdoor activity but it will be alright when one has the right set of clothes.

So, on a cold drizzling autumn morning, the group walked to the archaeological site because the bus was delayed. We walked from Västerhaninge train station. As we were approaching the site, I realised that I was in a new housing area and there were houses still under construction, and I began to wonder on what sort of archaeological site is this.


It turns out that, in Sweden (at least), before a housing project begins, an archaeological team is called in to see if there are any artifacts in the area. The preservation law in Sweden is very strict. That is probably one of the reason why there are so many museums in Stockholm! The team is based for 4 months from July to October, and they found a few areas where they discovered house structures from the Iron Age and Bronze Age! How cool is that!


These holes, once upon a time, had poles above them and they were poles for a house structure from the Iron Age. They dug a layer of earth which revealed a heavier colour of earth on some areas where the house's poles once stood or even found some poles. 


Here is a grave that has bears' claws and it was believed to be a sacrificial site. 



This is a site for a house from the Bronze Age. They discovered it the day before. 


If there are any artifacts worth keeping, they are sent to the historical museums. Items such as gold, silver and bronze has to be registered. Also, if there are too many of the same stuff, it will be left at the site. This reminded me of some of the artifacts at one of the train stations - Kungsträdgården. A guided art walk (I did a walk in some of the train stations which is organised during summers by SL train services) mentioned that they were exhibited at the train station because there were too many and they will be stored in the museums' storerooms instead.

How is that for random learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment