Sunday 17 March 2019

Korean performance - Coreyah and Nanta

14 March 2019

I had a fantastic evening watching the performances of 2 Korean groups (Coreyah with the instruments and Nanta with the kitchen equipment) that were brought to Stockholm to celebrate the 60th anniversary of Sweden and Republic of Korea's diplomatic relationship. It is as if I just watched a live performance of K-Pop concert! The Coreyah group even wore the colors of a Swedish flag.

Coreyah is a Korean music ensemble consisting of 3 performers of traditional Korean instruments, one vocalist, one guitarist and one world percussionist. Nanta is a non-verbal performance integrating traditional Korean rhythm with comedy and drama in the kitchen. 

The event started with an opening speech by the Ambassador of Korea. 


The Coreyah performance took about an hour and it was fantastic and lively. The drummer spoke and I thought he was cute on how he expressed himself. Haha!




I had no idea about Nanta until I saw its performance. The group came in by creating music with kitchen equipment and danced up to the stage. It was definitely loud because they were hitting pots and pans but there was a rhythm, of course. Nanta was really hilarious with their comical actions in the kitchen. I laughed out loud which I never expected myself to. Finally, it ended with the group playing their make-shift drums from barrels.



No comments:

Post a Comment