Friday 10 May 2019

Concert - Ethel Smyth's mass

9 May 2019

Today's evening activity is brought to me by Kompis Sverige. I invited my colleague to join me. She is here for 3 months only and I decided to bring her to the concert. This concert is a first-time for me too. After the break (my colleague bought a snack plate - a delicacy and cup of coffee for SEK55), a group of people walked to the back of the orchestra and belted out a couple of songs together with the orchestra, and also to accompany 4 opera singers that sang in the front. 

Here is a bit history of Ethel Smyth that I took from Konserthuset's website.

Ethel Smyth (1858–1944) was exceptionally talented and went to Leipzig, which was one of the most important music cities in the nineteenth century. Smyth came to be a highly acclaimed personality, both as a composer and as one of the leading individuals of the suffrage movement which fought for women’s right to vote in England. In recent years, some of her music has been performed at Konserthuset, but this is the first time the programme will feature Mass in D – a Swedish premiere! The magnificent mass is constructed almost like an opera and is simultaneously melodically tasteful and intricate, dramatic and expressively imagistic. For her efforts in England, Ethel Smyth was named Dame of the British Empire.







No comments:

Post a Comment