Saturday 11 May 2019

Touch Perception Experiment - The Karolinska Institute

10 May 2019

Today, I contributed to science in a touch experiment. I got to know about this from a post in Expats World Stockholm group in Facebook. I was mostly attracted by the free cinema ticket! Haha! 

This experiment is part of a PhD thesis (from the Brain, Body and Self Lab in The Karolinska Institute) on how temperature is related to eating disorder. For the first part of the experiment, I had to count my heartbeat without touching my chest or feeling my pulse. It is difficult. I closed my eyes to 'feel' my heartbeat. For the second part, the researcher touched my left forearm with a warm thermod and I had to identify the same warmth a couple of times. For the final experiment, the researcher put a fake forearm over my left arm and touched the forearm with 3 different objects and she touched my arm with the warm thermod. I had to identify the warmth that she initially touched me with. The researcher also asked me if I felt that the fake arm was mimicking my real arm. I gave her a straight no, because I thought the fake arm looked scary to me. I even gave a shout out of surprise when I first saw it, as I stepped inside the room, so no way, this can mimic my arm. 


No comments:

Post a Comment