Saturday 20 July 2019

Strawberry Picking in Uppsala

19 July 2019

Bucket list checked for today - pick strawberries! I have always wanted to do this since I found out that this is a summer activity in Sweden. Strawberry is a luxury item for me in Malaysia as they are mostly imported and costs a bunch to buy from the grocer store. So, you can imagine that I stuff myself with strawberries during summer because it is relatively cheaper here. With an activity like self-picking of strawberries, I will definitely go for it!

So, when my friend asked me if I would like to go strawberry picking, I said yes! No hesitation. We were weighing between two strawberry farms that are located in Uppsala and Södertälje. We chose the one in Uppsala - Ulva Kvarn. It costs SEK100/kg which includes a small plastic pail to put the strawberries in. You can bring your own box to pluck the strawberries and the staff will weight the box first.


Luckily, there were portable toilets on the farm. I was in desperate need for a toilet. 





How it works - each customer (can be a family or two persons) is allocated a row of strawberries, or two rows and the customer picks as much as they can from the allocated rows. We ate some of the strawberries as we plucked them. They are sweet.  



My harvest for the day after one hour - 1.3kg worth of strawberries.


In total, we had 2.8kg of strawberries. My friend plucked 1.5kg - the one with the more strawberries.


Super happy for the day! And we get to keep the plastic pails. 

No comments:

Post a Comment