Saturday 3 July 2021

Garden to kitchen : Tomato 'Tiny Tim'

My first tomato harvest - Tiny Tim tomatoes. The common red cherry tomato. Well, I think this is the common sort as they look like the ones I see in the grocery store. This plant is short and produces lots of small red tomatoes.

I started sowing the seeds on 13 March and in 2 weeks' time, the seedlings appeared. The first fruit appeared 2 months after I sowed the seeds. Tomatoes are easy to plant as the plant does not require any help to pollinate. The flowers contain both female and male so a shake of the flower or a small gust of wind assist in the pollination. Unlike the zucchini who has separate female and male flowers and require bees to pollinate the female flowers to ensure the fruit for harvest, tomatoes are a guaranteed harvest. 


My first red tomato burst in the middle due to the heat and uneven watering. It was a pretty red tomato before it burst and I waited 2-3 days before harvesting it but it burst before I could pluck it. It was very hot on the balcony and according to Google, the plant is unable to absorb the water evenly to distribute to its fruit. So, I learnt from my mistake and as soon as the tomato turned red, I did not wait and I harvested the fruit.


The tomatoes were very warm from the sun and they tasted extra sweet. Sweeter than the store bought ones. I am a happy urban farmer. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment