Wednesday 30 August 2017

2.5 months in Sweden

On 7 August, I attended my first Swedish class. I registered for the lessons at the end of June. I got the letter a week later, and my class started after the summer holidays. This week is my fourth week in class and I am happy to say that I can write and speak a little Swedish, albeit in broken phrases. I wrote messages to my partner in Swedish after 2 weeks in school. He was very surprised. I am mostly motivated to find a job and earn monies. It is difficult to not have monies in Sweden. Without my own monies, I have been spending based on necessity and not on wants 

I have gotten all my necessary documentation to survive in Sweden - Resident Permit card, ID card, Bank ATM card, Bank ID card. I have yet to receive my card from the Social Insurance Agency -Försäkringskassan. The officer tells me it takes between 4 - 6 months to get the card. My jaw just dropped. It is a shorter timeframe for those from the EU. 

I also registered myself with the Public Health System - Vårdcentral. From here, I get a doctor who will tend to me. But first, I need to make an appointment to see the doctor. I registered with Swedish Public Employment Service - Arbetsförmedlingen.    

Today, I did my first pap-smear at a gynaecologist. I was pleasantly surprised to receive a letter from the Läkarhuset Farsta Centrum. Apparently, all females (unsure of which age it starts) are required to do a pap smear once every 3 years, and it becomes once in 5 years upon reaching the age of 50. In Malaysia, we have to make our appointment and pay for it. The last time I did a pap smear in Subang Jaya, the price was RM120. In Sweden, it is FREE! I did not have to wait long either because a midwife is assigned to do the pap smear. There are no doctors. We will get the results via mail within 4 to 6 weeks. If there is any abnormalities, one will get more letters to see a doctor. Everything is very structured and regulated here. I am not sure how did I get this letter in the first place. I don't know if it was because I registered my ID card, or with the public healthcare or with Social Insurance Agency. I should have asked the midwife. 

I also went to see the Pride Parade which was on the first week of August, saw some cultural performances during Stockholm Culture Festival, went to a few hikes in Stockholm (I got into them because I registered with Meetup) and watched a summer cinema outdoors. Oh, I have finished visiting all the free entrance museums. Can you believe that? I am THAT FREE. Well, that was before I started my Swedish lessons. Now, I just want to go home after school. 

I am no more a mess after 2.5 months here. I am more in tune with how things work here in Sweden. I am not panicked anymore. I think I am more relaxed after I got all the administrative stuff settled and I am familiar with the transport system which eased my movement. When it comes to governmental matters, I do not like to procrastinate. And the irony of it is the local Swede themselves don't know what to do with the administrative matters for the reason that they are a Swede and do not need to do this. All of these are registered for them once they are born. 

I even gave advices to newbies like me on what to register. I get their anxieties too because they felt the same way as me. I told them to relax, register as advised, learn the language and enjoy the new environment.

I wished I had someone to guide me when I first arrived. I would have been less of a negative person then. 

Note: All of the above will be detailed in future posts on how I applied / registered and with pictures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment