Monday 12 February 2018

Ice Fishing at Lake Måsnaren

11 February 2018

This is an activity that was never in my bucket list - ice fishing! I have never fished before. Not even those common fishing activities. So, I thought this was similar. With their worms and fishing rods. But no, it is different! The Swedish word for ice fishing is 'pimpla'. Gosh, it reminded me of 'pimp'. Haha!

This event is organised by Södertälje Amateur Fishing Club and Södertälje Municipal. For free too within 3 hours. How awesome is that! I found out about it from a Meetup activity.

On a separate note, I did a hike on Måsnarenleden in July 2018 (this is a backdated post) and it was so hot that the 14km walk felt like forever. I did not realise that I will be hiking the same place as I did ice fishing.






Look at the short fishing rods being used. It is plastic and looks like a toy. Haha! Well, these are for those who would love to try. Those are not real worms, I think.


Do you see the thing hanging around the man's neck? That is a tool used to crawl yourself out from the frozen waters if you fall in. You hack them onto the ice and pull yourself out.




I did not know one needs to grill through the ice to fish. I used the manual drill and it was awkward at first. It was easier to use a mechanical grill - I saw someone using the mechanised grill and it was way faster. 




Bring a stool if you do ice fishing. You need to be here for quite sometime to wait for a fish. And you can't sit on the ice. It is too cold. Standing can be tiring.




I was there for about an hour and my hands were aching from the cold, so I decided to bid the group farewell. One of my friends managed to catch a fish. I don't know how long did they fish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment